Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have many brand-new methods and clinical developments emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless people the chance to minimize or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and pain-free method to remedy vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will enjoy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by expensive ads pop over to these guys about a specific laser center. Choose the medical professional, not the laser center. Discover who will actually do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Pick a doctor who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional does not know can injure you.
4. Request information on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. Find another one if your physician won't inform you. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of ads pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute. The prospective savings find are not worth the danger of receiving less than skilled care!
Expect to see very well after LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each client. Beware of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting until the new lenses are offered. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the benefits: for a lot of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of millions of people around the globe.